Wednesday, November 15, 2006

"you migth be able to get there through the river, but it will take a long time..." - I had stoped in a grocery store in the Alvão Natural Park area in northern Portugal and the store keeper is telling me about how to get near one of the parks waterfalls...

Comparing the Portuguese natural park system with those of the US and Canada is like comparing an old Ford Model T with the most recent Mercedes S... Forget the cabin in the entrance of the park where rangers welcome you and give you all the information you need in order to find whatever place you're looking for...

In Portugal you are left with the joy of discovery, sometimes you find the places you’re looking for, sometimes you find something else, often that not you meet interesting people that are glad to help you find what you’re looking for… This approach although romantic and closer to someone that is looking for the subtleties of places off the beaten track is only ruined by the lack of care the Portuguese government shows towards the conservation of natural areas...

Anyway, after walking some kilometers I got near the place I was looking for, but the vantage point from where I wanted to shoot the falls was too difficult to get to without risking falling some hundred meters into a frightening gorge… Where I in the US, I’d have a walking path to get me just there and a guide that would tell me the right time of day and where to place my tripod for the best shot…

“heck I’ll have to come back with more time, friends and climbing equipment!!!...” – The last rays from the sun where striking the earth as the full moon rose above the horizon and I still had some hundred kilometers to drive to my next destination…


No comments: