Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"thank you for your note... yes the ryokan got the key..." - the booking service attendant confirms that the temple in Mt. Koya received the key we forgot to deliver at checkout.Those who had the patience to read my previous posts, will remember my description of our trip from Mt. Koya to Miyajima as an example on how everything goes according to expectations in Japan. The single small unexpected detail during that day was cased by me when I forgot to deliver the room key at checkout from the Henjoson-in temple…

I noticed I had the key in my pocket during the trip down Koyasan's Cable Car, and when we arrived at the Gokurakubasi station I asked the station manager if he could deliver the key back to the temple. Despite our language differences he understood my request and answered politely that he would… And so it was… And… For some reason I'm not amazed, this was the thing to expect...

Typically I finish one trip focused on the next… Not that there are no plans crossing my mind this time, but for some reason memories from Japan don't let go easily. Many have asked me about the trip, and many received the same kind of answer containing something on the lines of: "Between good and bad things Japan is still a civism lesson for everyone…"

1 comment:

**** said...

I didn't forget my room key simply because the room at (my) temple had none!

Only:
a) explendid view over the japonese garden and to the mountain;
b)under the room balcony, the small river running no matter who the guest is;
c) confortable tatamis on the floor;
d) tea set on the balcony (awsome in case you don't have knee artrosis)
e) exquisite vegetarian dinner at 5pm
f) tab hot water till 9pm
g) morning prayers at 6am
h) vegetarian breakfast after celebration;
i) "farewell temple and hope I may get back again one day"

(clapping with one hand)