Saturday, August 05, 2006

Would you like to have something to drink mister? - The flight attendant has just awakened me, I’m flying from Delhi to Bangalore and I’m tired of too much bushtit meetings... At this point my friends: the old captain and the supplies officer are flying back home through Mumbai... My solo trip is about to start...


The plane lands at Bangalore and surprisingly I wait no more than 2 minutes before I get my suitcase... The baggage hall opens directly to the outside of the airport and outside the usual multitude waits with millions of boards with unreadable names... Surprisingly I can easily spot my name in one of those boards... A small wave to the driver lets him know I’m the one he’s looking for...

The weather is quite mild - it almost feels like home - I think to myself... The driver brings the car and we have a nice conversation while heading to the hotel... Everything looks good and I start liking the place... I get to the hotel, and at the reception they tell me that they’ll upgrade me to a deluxe suite, I’m happy again... I get to the room and I think to myself: is this the f... upgrade? The room looks unclean although it’s just old and untreated... I start trying to find my way around, the TV is not working, the safe can’t be opened, I call the reception and I wait two hours before everything is fixed... Still the internet connection is not working properly, I finally go to dinner at mid night and I’m really pissed of...

Back from dinner, I stay up until two am preparing next day’s meetings... I wake next mooring feeling I was hit by a train, I meet my new interlocutors and we spend the whole day discussing technology and prices for the Indian price - India is a price driven country - they say... Yes, I know, I’ve been listening to that since I got here...


In the end of the day I’m exhausted, but I still decide to go out... It’s late and the traffic seams impossible to stand... I go back and forth before I have courage to cross the first street in the middle of intrepid moto-riquexos that do not respect red signs... I’m really feeling out of context, I’m too tired to handle this in a good mood... The horns, the noise and the movement start echoing inside my mind... I insist and walk a little more, and more... It takes some time for me to understand the city map someone handed me at the hotel (once again I’m betrayed by the big scale of Indian cities)... I get to the shopping area... More movement... I try to create some images but I’m definitely not in the mood... I end up giving up and walk back to the hotel...

I end the day having dinner at the restaurant on the last floor looking to the city down bellow... I get to try Indian wine: a white chardonnay and a red merlot - they still need to be worked out, but they’ll get there some day - I think... The food is awesome as always in this country, be it Indian food or some Indian interpretation of international food these people really know how to please my taste... I end with a mix of crème brule and coffee... I’m thinking I really need to sleep when I receive an SMS from the head quarters...

No comments: