Monday, July 23, 2007

"blue whale!!!..." - The Haukur Schooner's skipper, spots something in the horizon and before we can understand what's going on, he changes direction and rushes the engine...
I’m standing on a lamp at the bow (imagine a 50cm cube), it sounded like a good way for shooting above everybody’s heads but as the boat increases speed this suddenly becomes an odd way for training my balance… But ok, I continue looking towards the horizon and try to harmonize with the boat’s movements.

We’d already seen dolphins and a humpback whale… And after those I thought I could already go back home with stories to tell… I wasn’t much worried about pictures as I was aware I still did not have the training or the skill to do the kind of pictures I’d like to do so I was more worried on enjoying the moment…

Whales come to the surface every 5 minutes or so, sometimes I’d fire a burst of pictures, sometimes I’d just forget I was holding a heavy camera and used all my senses to try to build memories... The spray of a whale that just emerged, the sensation of its size compared to us and our boat, the surrounding sounds and and the whale songs, the cold wind, the sea...

The fact that we are almost at arms reach to the biggest animal on earth (even bigger that any dinosaur that ever lived on the planet), makes us feel privileged and humbly small at the same time… The fact that we can share the same waters makes me wonder why we are doing the atrocities we do this world… Still whales look calm and serene; they just keep on going singing their stories trough their seasonal trips around the world…

No comments: