Saturday, July 14, 2007

"this is Iceland, you don't need to rush, you can stay for as much as you wish, you can even sleep in the floor if you wish to..." - The manager at the Aldan Hotel Restaurant in Seydisfjordur, an half French half Spanish globetrotter, let's us know about some of his impressions regarding Iceland's way of living...


"the only country I remember as being more expensive than Iceland is Japan" - he continues describing the first impacts he had when first arriving in Iceland

I was in Japan a long time ago, I remember the country as being expensive, but as usual we tend to pay more attention to present situations, and yes, coin after coin, day after day Iceland almost burned wholes in our pockets…

If in one hand it’s easy to understand the reason why Iceland is so expensive as most goods have to be imported into the country… On the other hand I was never able to understand what made it possible for Icelanders to keep their high living standards… While there I was unable to understand what would be the economical activities supporting the country, as there are no obvious resources that can be sold to other countries…

Several times I told myself I’d have to investigate this when getting back, I’m writing this here so that I don’t forget to check it ;)

No comments: