Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"is this just me or do you also feel you're in a different planet" - another little guy, breaks the silence halfway between nowhere and Landmannalaugar...

I think that if I had to pick a moment from my trip in Iceland and forget all the others, this would be the one I'd keep...

Generally speaking, Iceland is a small country, but due to its low population rate the insulation feeling we get at times is similar to being in the large landscapes of the American South West, but with the big difference that the landscape changes much faster and looks different from whatever we've been able to imagine before...

Joining this with the added bonus of long and almost empty unpaved roads, the empty world ahead, the dust cloud we're leaving behind, the mixture of feelings from image to the sensation of driving the Paris-Dakar...

Leaving a gravel road and entering a 4x4 only road makes us feel even more far away... The road would change from sand, to hard rocky grounds, to black sand, going up and down extinct volcanoes, crossing glacial rivers... Almost touching the sky or dropping into strangely colored lakes...

We finally stopped... My mind felt as being crashed by to many sensations, it took me some time to even dare do take a picture... I eventually did, I took lots of them... but whatever I felt during these almost 200 km of road, stayed there and seams that can only be described in memories...

No comments: